Monday, February 25, 2008

Trials of Motherhood

I left Mass on Friday morning and this morning in tears. I wish I could say it was because I was deeply touched by Mass itself, but that is not the reason. The reason was my son. I have made an effort to bring him to Mass every day, despite his behavior. I usually am able to just deal with it and accept the cross of a rambunctious toddler that God has given me. Lately though "just dealing with it" has been harder. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, or maybe it's the fact that I can't hold Ben in my arms due to my growing belly and shrinking back strength. Whatever it is I just can't seem to handle his behavior. I suppose it is nothing out of the ordinary for his age (or so I am told by other moms with older kids), but I find myself wondering when this stage is going to end.
So this morning after a full blown tantrum during Mass, being slapped in the face several times, and a failed attempt at a time out in the corner, I lost it. I could not hold in my frustrated/embarrassed/hurt tears any longer. As much as I just wanted to storm out of church and never come back (with Ben that is) I am so thankful for the support I received from two moms. They were my angels today, giving me hugs, offering help during Mass, and just letting me know that Ben is normal and I am normal for getting so frustrated. So, I will be at Mass tomorrow morning and hopefully there will be no more tears... from me or Ben.

2 comments:

Nicole Bradica said...

Prayers for you and Ben, my dear!

Mallory said...

Oh, Heidi, how wonderful for you to bring Ben to daily Mass! As fun as I think toddlers are, I feel that I am very limited in the activities I can participate in because of their constant NEED to move. I understand how crazy little boys can be sometimes :), and I'll pray for you as you try to accommodate a growing belly!

The only idea I have is to bring something to Mass that keep Ben busy. I'm not crazy about snacks and toys, but I've found that if I give Luke a whole apple it keep him busy a LONG time. Might be worth a shot. Good luck!! You're doing a great job!