Sunday, December 30, 2007

My new year's resolution

Ok, so normally I am not big on the whole "new year's resolution" thing, because I never really saw the point of saying I was going to do something only to keep it up for a day or two. But, this year my resolution is something I want to do not just because its a new year, but because I feel it is my duty as a mother. This may sound silly, but I want to cook better meals. When making the menu for the week I usually go for freezer standards like pizza, or the basics like shake and bake chicken and mashed potatoes. I know I can and should do better for my family.
I also want to bake more. When I lived off campus for a semester of college I would bake bread every Saturday. I had so much fun trying new recipes and love all the labor that goes into homemade bread. My husband says he would rather I start that after we have a dishwasher, but I think once he tastes some homemade honey whole wheat bread, he may change his mind.
So, my goal is to start this week with better meals. What's on the menu this week? Homemade deep dish pizza, pork chops with risotto and sauteed zucchini, and spaghetti with homemade meatballs. Not gourmet dishes, but its a start.

1 comment:

Mallory said...

That's awesome, Heidi. When I was first married I didn't know how to make ANYTHING! I'm always trying to find new stuff that we like, so if you make something awesome let me know! One thing that I do that is cost-effective yet "homemade" is homemade pasta sauces. Pasta is so easy, and then if you make a double recipe of sauce you can freeze to make it again. Good luck!